8 Best Marijuana Strains for Chronic Pain Relief
Pain, whether chronic, severe or intractable, is one of the most common health conditions for medical marijuana use. Pain can be caused by arthritis, migraines, neuropathy, inflammation or other health ailments. Luckily, there are plenty of marijuana strains to alleviate pain.
A common misconception is that only indica strains will combat pain, but this is not true. There are also sativa and hybrid strains that work very well to ease pain – and we’ve included them in the list below.
These 8 marijuana strains can help reduce or eliminate pain:
- Sour Diesel – A popular sativa that is the child of Chemdawg 91 and Super Skunk. It’s one that can be smelled from across the room and very sticky to touch. Its effects are long lasting and will also help those with high levels of stress and depression. It typically averages 19-25% THC.
- Granddaddy Purple – Often abbreviated as GDP on dispensaries’ menus. It is known as the daytime indica as it helps melt pain away and increases productivity. GDP hails from Big Bud and Purple Urkle. Not only does it treat pain effectively, it can help increase appetite, control muscle spasms, reduce stress and stop insomnia.
- OG Kush – A hybrid cross of Lemon Thai, Chemdawg and Hindu Kush. It’s a heavy hitter with long-lasting effects. OG Kush is a popular strain for fighting pain but is also helpful for those with depression, stress and insomnia. It typically tests over 20% THC and does include a small percentage of CBD.
- Blue Dream – A very popular strain all around the world. It is a nicely blended hybrid hailing from Blueberry Indica and Sativa Haze. It’s not only popular for its potency, but also for its sweet aroma and flavor. For those with pain, this is a good anytime option as it allows you to maintain focused and clear-headed during the day. It is also a good option for those with high stress and depression.
- Moose and Lobsta – A sativa-dominant hybrid that keeps you moving while eliminating pain. It has a unique aroma profile of diesel, skunk and tropical fruits. The effects come on strong and fast, starting in the head and permeating throughout the body. For those with pain, anxiety, depression and lack of energy, this is a strain to seek out.
- Redwood Kush – This indica is ideal for those with significant muscle cramping or spasms. It’s a relaxing strain for evening and nighttime use. Redwood Kush has an herbal aroma and flavor profile. It produces larger amounts of THC. Microdosing is suggested as it has a tendency to induce couchlock and the inability to concentrate. It’ll also help you get a great night’s sleep.
- Blueberry Headband – A hybrid produced by crossing Headband and Blueberry. It has a tendency to make you feel like you’re wearing an actual headband. For those with severe, debilitating migraines, this is a good choice. Some phenotypes can be indica-dominant, but most are more of a 50/50 split. It produces a lot of resin, so it should be sticky to the touch. The effects start cerebrally, but flow to the body aiding in relaxation, tension relief, pain relief and happiness.
- Bubba Kush – An indica strain with an earthy flavor and aroma profile. If pain keeps you awake at night, this strain will not only knock out your pain but will help you fall asleep a little faster. It should be used just before bedtime. It’s also a great stress and depression reliever with typical THC concentrations in the mid-teens to lower-20s.
If these strains are not available in your local market, consider requesting them from dispensary staff or cultivators. Not all marijuana strains will relieve pain, each strain has a unique cannabinoid and terpene profile that work together to combat different symptoms. If you have not tried one of these strains before, consider microdosing it the first time to see how the effects present in your body, as everyone experiences strains differently.
Contact your local dispensary to inquire if they carry any of these marijuana strains or other strains that provide pain relief.