Russell Simmons speaks out about prisons
– I’m Russell Simmons, I’m chairman of Rush Communications. When we looked deeply, we found that 94% of the people in jail are black or brown. It’s horrible what the prison industrial complex has done to the American people. The prison industrial complex has a choke hold on our politicians, and for years they’ve implemented laws that have been hurtful to communities and helpful to their cause. $60,000 per bed, that’s a lot of money to lock somebody up. That’s enough money to send someone to college.
– My dad has had to go do some time.
– [Andi] He’s now doing two years for marijuana.
– How do we have 5% of the world’s population and 25% of the prisoners? Why is there a prison population for profit? How do we have seven to one black and brown people to whites in prison? It’s the new Jim Crow.
– My journey to the Marijuana Show and how I got here is I’m filling my husband’s shoes, honestly. I’m trying to be the face of this company because he cannot be right now. Sorry. It’s hard, it’s hard, it’s been a long time since we’ve seen him. The kids miss him. And of course I miss him.
– The war on drugs has been a terrible disappointment.